This week’s Political Updates, covers moves and changes at all levels of government.
House of Commons
- John Bercow has been re-elected Speaker of the House of Commons. He has held the position since 2009.
- The State Opening of Parliament will take place on Wednesday 21st June, following the Queen’s Speech.
House of Lords
- The Queen’s Speech will take place in the House of Lords on Wednesday 21st June. This ceremonial event serves as a symbol of the unity of the three parts of Parliament: the Sovereign, the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Queen’s Speech will set out the Government’s agenda for the upcoming year.
Northern Ireland Assembly
- Northern Ireland has until the 29th June to reach an agreement that will restore a power-sharing devolved executive.
- This upcoming week will consist of committee meetings in Brussels.
- Brexit Minister David Davis and the European Union’s Chief Negotiator Michel Barnier are meeting today, Monday 19th June, at the European Commission in Brussels, to begin formal talks regarding the UK’s exit from the EU.