This is the first Political Updates of 2017, covering moves and changes at all levels of government. Happy New Year!
House of Commons
Members of Parliament return to the House of Commons today (9th January).
- Jamie Reed is yet to resign his Copeland seat, a by-election date has not been set.
- The deadline for members of the Labour Party to put themselves forward to be the party’s candidate for the Copeland by-election is the 9th January.
House of Lords
Members of the House of Lords return today (9th January)
- Baroness Brown of Cambridge has been appointed as Chair of the Committee on Climate Change’s Adaptation Sub-Committee.
- A new Lord Speaker’s committee on the size of the House has been established: Lord Burns (Chair) (Crossbench), Lord Beith (Lib Dem), Baroness Browning (CON), Baroness Crawley (LAB), Baroness Taylor of Bolton (LAB), Lord Wakeham (CON).
New and Reformed All Party Parliamentary Groups
6th January 2017 Register
- Ahmadiyya Muslim Community – Siobhain McDonagh (Chair)
- Better Brexit for Young People – Stephen Kinnock (Chair)
- Built Environment – Oliver Colvile (Chair)
- Bullying – Daniel Zeichner (Chair)
- Channel 4 – Nadhim Zahawi (Chair)
- Colombia – Jeffrey M. Donaldson (Chair)
- East-West Rail – Iain Stewart (Chair)
- Global Security and Non-Proliferation – Mike Gapes (Chair)
- Healthy Homes and Buildings – Jim Shannon (Chair)
- Ireland and the Irish in Britain – Conor McGinn (Chair)
- Listed Properties – Craig Mackinlay (Chair)
- Mozambique – Roger Godsiff (Chair)
- Norfolk Island – Paula Sherriff (Chair)
- Offshore Oil and Gas – Peter Aldous (Chair)
- Photonics – Carol Monaghan (Chair)
- Pigeon Racing – Chris Davies (Chair)
- Poverty – Kevin Hollinrake (Chair)
- Proportional Representation – Chuka Umunna (Chair)
- Saudi Arabia – Charlotte Leslie (Chair)
- Tanzania – Jeremy Lefroy (Chair)
- Water – Angela Smith (Chair)
- West Midlands – Ian Austin (Chair)
- White Ribbon Campaign UK – Gavin Newlands (Chair)
- Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire – Jason McCartney (Chair)
- Sue Jeffrey has been announced as Labour’s candidate for Mayor of Tees Valley.
- Lesley Mansell has been announced as Labour’s candidate for Mayor of West of England.
- Stephen Godfrey will stand down as Leader of Winchester Council on Wednesday 11th January.
- Clare Coghill will become leader of Waltham Forest Council in May after she was elected as the new leader of the Labour group.
- Guy Verhofstadt has announced he will stand as a candidate for Presidency of the European Parliament for the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats.
- Raymond Finch MEP appointed Leader of the UKIP delegation in the European Parliament.
- Roger Bird appointed Special Adviser to UKIP Leader Paul Nuttall.
- Victoria Ayling appointed UKIP Tourism Spokesperson.
- Lisa Duffy appointed UKIP Foreign Aid Spokesperson.
What’s happening in 2017?
A ‘week is a long time in politics’, but there are some things we can expect:
- 17th January – European Parliament Presidency election.
- TBC – Copeland by-election
- TBC – Liverpool, Walton by-election
- TBC – Leigh by-election
- 8th March – Spring Budget
- 17th – 18th March – Conservative Party Spring Conference
- 17th – 19th March – Liberal Democrat Spring Conference
- March – expected triggering of Article 50
- 4th May – Local Elections (England, Wales, and Scotland)
- 4th May – Metro Mayor elections: Greater Manchester, West Midlands, Liverpool, Sheffield City Region, West of England and Tees Valley.
- May (date tbc) – State Opening of Parliament and Queen’s Speech
- 16th – 20th Sept – Liberal Democrat Party Conference
- 24th – 27th Sept – Labour Party Conference
- 1st – 4th Oct – Conservative Party Conference
- 13th – 15th Oct – Scottish National Party Conference
- TBC – Autumn Budget