This week’s Political Updates, covers moves and changes at all levels of government.
Madeleine Alessandri has been appointed as the new Permanent Secretary at the Northern Ireland Office (NIO).
Dean Beale has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer of the Insolvency Service.
The Queen has approved the appointment of Andrew Selous MP as Second Church Estates Commissioner.
The Queen appoints Mr James Saunders Watson DL as Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the County of Northamptonshire.
The Secretary of State has appointed the following new members to serve on the Veterinary Products Committee from January 2020 until 31 December 2023:
- David Mackay is a veterinary surgeon with experience in veterinary immunology
- David Killick is a veterinary surgeon with experience in mixed and small animal practice
- Ronnie Soutar is a veterinary surgeon with experience in aquaculture.
Tracy Brabin has been appointed Shadow Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport.
Luke Pollard has been appointed Shadow Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
Rachael Maskell has been appointed Shadow Secretary of State for Employment Rights.
Tony Lloyd has been appointed as Shadow Secretary of State for Scotland.
Emma Hardy has been appointed as Shadow Minister for Skills.
Tanmanjeet Singh Dhesi has been appointed PPS to Jeremy Corbyn as Leader of the Opposition.
The five leadership candidates who have successfully passed through the first stage of the Leadership contest include :
- Rebecca Long-Bailey
- Lisa Nandy
- Jess Phillips
- Keir Starmer
- Emily Thornberry
The five candidates who have successfully passed through the first stage of the Deputy Leadership contest include :
- Rosena Allin-Khan
- Richard Burgon
- Dawn Butler
- Ian Murray
- Angela Rayner
The DUP and Sinn Féin have re-entered their power sharing agreement thus restoring the political institutions in Northern Ireland.
Over the weekend several appointments were made to the Northern Ireland Executive and the Assembly. Details can be found below:
- Arlene Foster (DUP) has been appointed First Minister
- Michelle O’Neill (Sinn Féin) has been appointed Deputy First Minister
- Gordon Lyons (DUP) has been appointed Junior Minister
- Declan Kearney (Sinn Féin) has been appointed Junior Minister
- Peter Weir (DUP) has been appointed Minister of Education
- Dianne Dodds (DUP) has been appointed Minister for the Economy
- Conor Murphy (Sinn Féin) has been appointed Minister of Finance
- Robin Swann (UUP) has been appointed Minister of Health
- Naomi Long (Alliance) has been appointed Minister of Justice
- Deidre Hargey (Sinn Féin) has been appointed Minister for Communities
- Nichola Mallon (SDLP) has been appointed Minister for Infrastructure
- Edwin Poots (DUP) has been appointed Minister of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs
- Alex Maskey (Sinn Féin) has been appointed Speaker
- Christopher Stalford (DUP), Roy Beggs (UUP) and Patsy McGlone (SDLP) have been appointed as Deputy Speakers.
This week’s European Parliament plenary session will be held in Strasbourg.