This week’s Political Updates, covers moves and changes at all levels of government.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Stephen Lillie has been appointed British High Commissioner to the Republic of Cyprus. He will succeed Matthew Kidd from Spring 2018.
Department for Transport
- Michael Hurn has been appointed Director General of the High Speed Rail Group, succeeding David Prout.
- Director Francesca Osowska is leaving her role as Director in Autumn 2017.
- Jem Eskenazi has been made Chief Technology Officer of UK Export Finance.
Ministry of Justice
- Ed Owen has been appointed Head of Communications of HM Court and Tribunal Service.
Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
- Peter Rowley’s membership of the Sports Grounds Safety Authority board has been extended.
House of Commons
The Select Committee Chairs have now been elected:
- Backbench Business Committee – Ian Mearns
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee – Rachel Reeves
- Communities and Local Government Committee – Clive Betts
- Defence Committee – Julian Lewis
- Education Committee – Robert Halfon
- Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee – Neil Parish
- Foreign Affairs Committee – Tom Tugendhat
- Northern Ireland Allairs Committee – Andrew Murrison
- Science and Technology Committee – Norman Lamb
- Transport Committee – Lilian Greenwood
- Treasury Committee – Nicky Morgan
- Culture, Media and Sport Committee – Damian Collins
- Environmental Audit Committee – Mary Creagh
- Exiting the European Union Committee – Hilary Benn
- Health Committee – Sarah Wollaston
- Home Affairs Committee – Yvette Cooper
- International Development Committee – Stephen Twigg
- International Trade Committee – Angus Brendan MacNeil
- Justice Committee – Robert Neill
- Petitions Committee – Helen Jones
- Procedure Committee – Charles Walker
- Public Accounts Committee – Meg Hillier
- Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee – Bernard Jenkin
- Scottish Affairs Committee – Pete Wishart
- Standards Committee – Kevin Barron
- Welsh Affairs Committee – David T.C. Davies
- Women and Equalities Committee – Maria Miller
- Work and Pensions Committee – Frank Field
House of Lords
- Lord Griffiths of Fforestfach has been made a member of the Science and Technology Committee.
- Baroness Morris of Bolton has been appointed member of the Services Committee.
- Lord Patel has been appointed member of the Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology Board.
- Baroness Hayter of Kentish Town has been appointed member of the Liaison Committee.
- Lord Duncan of Springback has been made a Conservative Life Peer.
- The Scottish Parliament is in recess until Tuesday 5 September.
- It’s a week of external activities: MEPs will be spending their time in their constituencies and on delegations.