This week’s Political Updates, covers moves and changes at all levels of government.
- Michael Fallon resigned from his position as Secretary of State for Defence on 2nd November. He has been replaced by Gavin Williamson (previously Chief Whip).
- Julian Smith has been appointed Chief Whip (previously Deputy Chief Whip).
- Esther McVey has been appointed Deputy Chief Whip.
Elisabeth Stheeman has been appointed as an external member of the Financial Policy Committee.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Crispin Simon has taken on the role of British Deputy High Commissioner Western India and Director-General for Trade, Economics and Commercial Diplomacy.
Department for Work and Pensions
Mark Foy has taken on the role of Chief Nuclear Inspector at the Office for Nuclear Regulation.
House of Commons
The following Committee members have been appointed:
Sir Paul Beresford
European Scrutiny Committee
Joint Committee on Human Rights
Joint Committee on the National Security Strategy
Angus Brendan MacNeil
Speaker’s Committee for the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority
House of Lords
Lord Plumb (Conservative, life peer) retired on 3rd November.
Carl Sargeant has resigned from his position as Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government.
- Lord Elis-Thomas – Cabinet Secretary for Culture, Tourism and Sport
- Ken Skates (previously Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Infrastructure) – Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Transport
- Vaughan Gething (previously Cabinet Secretary for Health, Wellbeing and Sport) – Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Services
- Huw Irranca-Davies – Minister for Children and Social Care
- Mark Drakeford (previously Cabinet Secretary for Finance and Local Government) – Cabinet Secretary for Finance
- Alun Davies – Cabinet Secretary for Local Government and Public Services
- Rebecca Evans – Minister for Housing and Regeneration (previously Minister for Social Services and Public Health)
- Lesley Griffiths (previously Cabinet Secretary for Environment and Rural Affairs) – Cabinet Secretary for Energy, Planning and Rural Affairs
- Hannah Blythyn – Minister for Environment
- Eluned Morgan – Minister for Welsh Language and Lifelong Learning
- Julie James – Leader of the House and Chief Whip
- Jeremy Miles – Counsel General Designate
- Clare Pillman – new Chief Executive at Natural Resources Wales (from February 2018)
Welsh Liberal Democrats
Jane Dodds has been elected Leader.
This week, the European Parliament will be holding Committee meetings in Brussels.