This week’s Political Updates covers moves and changes at all levels of government.
- National Infrastructure Commission – Lord Adonis resigned as Chair.
- Prudential Regulation Committee – David Belsham reappointed as an external member.
- Financial Conduct Authority – Charles Randall appointed as Chair from 1 April.
Department for Transport
- Office of Rail and Road – Stephen Glaister reappointed as Chair.
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
- Veterinary Products Committee – Enrique Vega, Mark White, Ye-Mei Ruby Chang, Andrea Tarr, Helen Ballantyne and Rachel Bennett have been appointed as members and Malcolm Bennett has been appointed as Chair.
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee – Melanie Austen, Charles Banner and Marian Scott appointed as independent members.
Ministry of Justice
- European Union Fundamental Rights Agency – Charles Banner has been appointed as the UK Independent Member of the Management Board.
Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport
- Charity Commission – Kenneth Dibble to join the board as a member in March.
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Committee on Radioactive Waste Management – Laurence Williams stood down as Chair.
- Medical Research Council – Fiona Watt selected as the preferred candidate to become Executive Chair in April.
House of Commons
- Joint Committee on Human Rights – Alex Burghart replaced Mark Pritchard as a member.
- Regulatory Reform Committee – Simon Clarke replaced Mark Menzies as a member.
UK Cabinet Reshuffle
- Brandon Lewis has been appointed Chair of the Conservative Party and a Minister without Porfolio (previously Immigration Minister, attending Cabinet but not as a full member)
- James Cleverly has been appointed Deputy Chairman of the Conservative Party
- David Lidington has been appointed Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Minister for the Cabinet Office (previously Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice)
- Sajid Javid has been appointed Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- Jeremy Hunt has been appointed Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
- David Gauke has been appointed Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice (previously Secretary of State for Work and Pensions)
- Karen Bradley has been appointed Secretary of State for Northern Ireland (previously Secretary of State for Digital Culture, Media and Sport)
- Matt Hancock has been appointed Secretary of State for Digital, Cutlure, Media and Sport (previously Minister for Digital)
- Damian Hinds has been appointed Secretary of State for Education (previously Minister for Employment)
- Caroline Nokes has been appointed Minister of State for Immigration (previously Minister for Government Resilience and Efficiency)
- Esther McVey has been appointed Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (previously Deputy Chief Whip)
- James Brokenshire has resigned as Secretary of State for Northern Ireland for health reasons
- Patrick McLoughlin has resigned as Chair of the Conservative Party
- Chris Skidmore has resigned as Minister for the Constitution
- Andrew Jones has resigned as Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury
- Marcus Jones has resigned as Minister for Local Government
- Justine Greening has resigned as Secretary of State for Education
Scottish Labour Party
- Lesley Laird named as Interim Deputy Leader
Shadow Cabinet Reshuffle
- Iain Gray reappointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Education, Skills and Science.
- Claudia Beamish reappointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform.
- Jackie Baillie reappointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for the Economy, Jobs and Fair Work.
- Anas Sarwar appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport (previously Spokesperson for Health).
- Rhoda Grant appointed as Business Manager and Spokesperson for Women and Equality (previously Spokesperson for Rural Economy and Connectivity).
- Claire Baker appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Culture, Tourism and External Affairs (previously Spokesperson for Justice).
- James Kelly appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Finance and the Constitution (previously Parliamentary Business Manager; Minister without Portfolio).
- Daniel Johnson appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Justice (previously Shadow Minister for Education).
- Colin Smyth appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Rural Economy and Connectivity (previously Shadow Minister for Health; Whip).
- Monica Lennon appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Social Security and Equalities (previously Shadow Minister for Inequality Working across Health and Education portfolios.).
- Elaine Smith appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for the Eradication of Poverty and Inequality (previously backbench).
- Neil Findlay appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Brexit, Campaigns and Party Engagement (previously backbench).
House of Lords
- Lord MacLaurin (Conservative, Life Peer) retired on 22 December.
- Lord Blyth of Rowington (Conservative, Life Peer) retired on 1 January.
- Baroness Sharples (Conservative, Life Peer) retired on 18 December.
- Lord Condon (Crossbench, Life Peer) retired on 21 December.
This week, the European Parliament will be carrying out Group and Committee Meetings