This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including The BBC, The Sunday Times, Metro and MailOnline; fashion and lifestyle changes at LOOK magazine, Imagine Publishing and Future plc; business changes at Insurance Age and Property Week. There are also blog spotlights featuring parenting, fashion and lifestyle bloggers
News & Current Affairs
- The BBC’s News department is to axe 415 jobs as cost-cutting measures continue, the BBC’s director of news James Harding has announced
- Metro’s managing director Steve Auckland has been named as the new chief executive of the Independent and Evening Standard news titles and extensions, including London Live
- Chichester Observer has appointed Stephen Pickthall as chief reporter
- Robert Collins announced via Twitter that he has left his role of deputy literary editor at The Sunday Times
- Discovery Networks has appointed BBC executive Dominic Coles as finance and operations chief of its business across Western Europe
- Rebecca Jones has announced via Twitter that she has joined the South Wales Evening Post as a Neath Port Talbot reporter
- MailOnline has appointed Colette Fahy as assistant showbiz editor
- David Deans announced via Twitter that he has left his role as political reporter at South Wales Argus
- Francesca Gillett has joined South Wales Argus as a reporter
- After 150 years on the same site the Swindon Advertiser is selling its Old Town building in Victoria Road and relocating to a different site
- Shropshire Star has appointed William Tomaney as a senior reporter
- David Lindsell has been appointed web editor for the Surrey Comet and its news titles including the Richmond and Twickenham Times, the Croydon Guardian, Sutton Guardian and Wimbledon Guardian
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- LOOK magazine has appointed Sophie Haslett as senior fashion news assistant
- Bauer Media has revealed a new and improved website for Yours magazine. The new website is mobile-responsive enabling users to access the content easily across multiple platforms.
- Imagine Publishing has announced the appointment of Martin Porter as head of digital, overseeing the company’s portfolio of over 25 websites, email newsletter, and its special digital projects division.
- Independent publishing company Iceberg Press announced on 14 July that it has purchased The Simple Things magazine from international media group Future plc.
Business & Finance
- Jamie Wallis has announced via Twitter that he has been appointed editor at Exhibition News
- Insurance Age has appointed Siân Barton as commissioning editor
- David Hatcher has announced via Twitter that he has left his role as finance editor at Property Week
An interview with Laurie Prescott, author of Bell & Smokey, a blog covering fashion, interior design, art and lifestyle. Laurie spoke to us about keeping content visually exciting, working in PR (and working with PR for her blog) and the new feature she will be soon adding to her site.
An interview with John Adams, author of the parenting blog, Dadbloguk.com. John, a former journalist is now a stay-at-home dad, taking care of his two daughters while his wife works full time. His blog covers all aspects of parenting, including pregnancy and birth, early years education and childcare, but he is particularly passionate about highlighting the gender barriers men face as parents.