This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including BBC, the Guardian and Informa; fashion and lifestyle changes at Cosmopolitan and Music Week; technology changes at BMJ and business changes at Access All Areas and Mulberry Publications. There are also blog spotlights featuring student lifestyle and beauty bloggers.
News & Current Affairs
- Jane Martinson has been appointed as head of media at the Guardian. Jane is currently women’s editor, and will take up the new role in September.
- Alberto Nardelli will be joining the Guardian as data editor. Alberto is founder and currently CEO of Tweetmaster, he will also begin his role this September.
- Andrew Mullins, managing director of the group that runs The Independent titles and the The Evening Standard, is to leave the publisher after seven years. He will join Informa as chief executive of knowledge & networking this Autumn.
- Xan Rice is to join the New Statesman as features editor this Autumn.
- Alberto Nardelli will be joining the Guardian as data editor. Alberto is founder and currently CEO of Tweetmaster, he will begin his role this September.
- The BBC has announced that Victoria Derbyshire is to join the BBC News Channel to launch a new daily current affairs programme.
- Matthew Amroliwala has been appointed as presenter for the programme Global on BBC World News.
- Sophie Lam has been promoted to travel editor at The Independent. Sophie was previously deputy travel editor.
- John Francis has been appointed as editor at The Comet.
- Joel Lamy has been appointed as a reporter at the Peterborough Telegraph.
- The Press & Journal has appointed Laura Redpath as a digital journalist.
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Carla Buzasi, the founding editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post UK is leaving the site to take on a role at WGSN. Stephen Hull has been promoted to editor-in-chief, he was previously executive editor.
- Poorna Bell has been appointed executive editor and head of global lifestyle at the Huffington Post UK.
- Rhian Jones has been promoted to news editor at Music Week.
- Natalie Cornish has been appointed acting online editor for woman&home.
- Jess Edwards has been appointed digital fashion editor at Cosmopolitan.co.uk.
- Chris Hall has been appointed deputy editor at QP Magazine.
Health, Science & Technology
- BMJ has announced that it has changed its name to The BMJ. The website domain has also changed to www.thebmj.com. The entire look and feel of the site and logo has changed too.
Business & Finance
- Jennifer Le Roux has been appointed editor at Access All Areas.
- Lauren Morton has left her role as editorial assistant of Mulberry Publications.
- An interview with Laura Belshaw, author of the student lifestyle blog, The Confessions of a Professional Drama Queen. Laura spoke to us about the drama that draws people to her site, how she works with brand marketers representing different sectors, graduating and stepping into the job market.
- An interview with Kate Rooney, author of the beauty, health and style blog, The Glow Edit. Kate brings her knowledge of the beauty industry from working with leading fashion titles into her blog. She spoke to us about how she works with PRs, Fashion Week 2013 and what we can expect to read on her site in the months ahead.