Our first blogger spotlight of the year is with Assuntina Tarallo, freelance fashion PR and author of the fashion and lifestyle blog The Updated List. She spoke to us about taking her blog beyond fashion to the other aspects of her world including parenting, interiors, wedding and PR, how she measures the success of her site and the five best practices every blogger should follow.
Why should people read your blog? What makes it different? The reason I think people will like my blog is because it has a great mix and a lot of people can relate to it. There are so many fashion blogs nowdays its hard to see which ones are interesting and worth the read. My blog is simple, fun to read and very creative. Something for everyone. Whether you like fashion, beauty, weddings, PR, celebs there is a lot to read.
How do you measure the success of your website? I monitor my blog and see who reads it and when, but I monitor the success on how people talk about it. When I first started it was a hobby and now when people come to me and ask about the inspiration behind the blog, or when people email me about featuring a product or collaborating with me on the blog – that’s how I know it is getting better and better.
What’s your favourite blog and why? I absolutely love WIT blog that is written by previous Shopping Editor from Red Laura Fantacci. I love how she is able to mix her love of fashion and family in one place. That inspires me.
What advice would you give to someone who wants to start a blog? If you want to do it, then do it and don’t give up. You have your bad and good days but if you have a passion for it keep going and you will love it more and more. Also make sure your blog stands out. It could be the way you shoot your images, or the tone you write. Shine out from everyone else.
How do you work with marketers and PRs? I have a great relationship with PRs and being one myself allows me to be clever with the brands I feature. I only write what I love. If it is a collaboration or a gift guide I make sure I am clear as to what I am looking to feature and make sure I am polite.
Who do you work with in brand marketing? I am a Freelance Fashion PR so I do everything myself. I PR the blog myself and use social media as much as I can.
Can you list five best practices for blogger outreach?
1. Blogger breakfasts are great as they allow bloggers to all come together in one place and they can all talk about the same likes – blogging.
2. Response Source is amazing as you can request and search for anything you need for your blog
3. Social Media is amazing. Tweeting your blog posts or something you need for your blog gets amazing results with social media
4. Word of Mouth – Just by talking to people about my blog has allowed more people to read. When they notice what I blog about they instantly want to know more and spread the word. It’s a detailed insight into my life.
5. Press Days – A great way to meet new people and spread the word of a blogger is through meeting others that love what I love – fashion and writing. Where can you find people like this? Press days.
What has been your blogging highlight? I love when people come up to me and say ‘You write for The Updated List dont you’ – I had a fashion student tweet me and saying that she loved the blog as her tutor told her to read it. Turns out the tutor was someone I worked with at a PR agency ages ago. It made me very proud.
What will be big in your blogosphere in the coming months? I have a lot more interesting ideas for the blog in the next few months. I will be blogging more about my personal style, my wedding as well as my fitness. Which I have never thought I would do. I have always wanted to help people in the most interesting way. My blog helps me do this. I hope people keep reading and see just how helpful and creative I can be.