This week’s Political Updates covers moves and changes at all levels of government.
Melissa Tatton appointed as new Tax Assurance Commissioner (more info).
Pat Richie (Newcastle City Council Chief Executive) appointed as new Chair for Government Property Agency (more info).
Sandie Dawe appointed to the Historic England Board, for four years (more info).
Christober Baker and Stuart Lochhead appointed as Members of the Reviewing Committee on the Export of Works for Art, for four years (more info)
Antonio Horta-Osorio reappointed as Chair of Wallace Collection (more info)
Stuart Hudson appointed as Senior Director For Strategy, Communications, Nations and Regions at the CMA (more info).
Simon Devonshire OBE appointed as New Chairman for Ploughshare Innovations, the Technology transfer company for Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (more info).
Prime Minister Boris Johnson to chair new committee on Climate Change to drive further action across government to protect the environment (more info).
Ugbana Oyet announced as new Serjeant at Arms (more info).
Four new members introduced into the House of Lords. Baroness Hunt of Bethnal Green (Crossbench), Baroness Ritchie of Downpatrick (Non-affiliated), Baroness Blower (Labour) and Lord Hendy (Labour) (more info).
The Liberal Democrats have announced a new Shadow Cabinet line-up, as follows (more info):
- Jo Swinson: Leader
- Ed Davey: Chancellor of the Exchequer; Deputy Leader
- Chuka Umunna: Foreign & Commonwealth Affairs; International Trade and President of the Board of Trade
- Christine Jardine: Home Department; Women and Equalities; Deputy Chief Whip
- Tom Brake: Exiting the European Union; Duchy of Lancaster
- Phillip Lee: Justice
- Jamie Stone: Defence; Scotland
- Luciana Berger: Health, Wellbeing and Social Care
- Sam Gyimah: Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Layla Moran: Education; Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
- Wera Hobhouse: Climate Emergency, Environment and Food; Transport
- Tim Farron: Housing, Communities and Local Government; Work and Pensions; North of England (Northern Powerhouse)
- Alistair Carmichael: Chief Whip; Northern Ireland
- Jane Dodds: Wales; Rural Affairs
- Angela Smith: International Development
- Vince Cable: Cabinet Office
- Catherine Bearder: European Parliament
- Siobhan Benita: London
- Willie Rennie: Scottish Parliament
- Kirsty Williams: National Assembly for Wales
- Caroline Pidgeon: London Assembly
- Dick Newby: Leader of the House of Lords
- Sal Brinton: President of the Liberal Democrats
- Norman Lamb and Sarah Wollaston will attend relevant meetings but do not have formal roles as they chair select committees
Louise Ellman MP for Liverpool Riverside has resigned from the Labour Party, she has no plans to join another party (more info).
This week, the European Parliament is in plenary session in Strasbourg (more info).