This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including Newsnight, London Evening Standard and The Daily Mirror; fashion and lifestyle changes at The Financial Times, IPC Media and S Magazine and finance changes at the Haymarket Media Group and Air Cargo News.
News & Current Affairs
- Newsnight has appointed Nick Hopkins, investigations editor of the Guardian, as its investigations correspondent. He joins a number of recent Newsnight hires including chief reporter Laura Kuenssberg, policy editor Chris Cook, economics correspondent Duncan Weldon and special correspondent Katie Razzall.
- BBC sports editor David Bond is to leave the Corporation to join the Milltown PR agency
- City A.M. moved offices on 5 May. The new address for the team will be: 3rd Floor, Fountain House, 130 Fenchurch Street, London EC3M 5DJ.
- Judith Phillips has retired as a reporter for North Wales Weekly News.
- Steve Creswell has left his role as senior reporter at Cornish Guardian papers including Lostwithiel & Fowey, Bodmin, North Cornwall, South East Cornwall and St. Austell editions.
- Lindsay Watling has left her role as reporter at London Evening Standard.
- Jack Blanchard joined the The Daily Mirror as political correspondent on 6 May. He was previously political editor at the Yorkshire Post.
- Daily Star reporter Tammy Hughes is leaving her position to take on a freelance role.
- Maria Fitzpatrick has left her role as features writer at the Sunday Telegraph for a freelance status.
- Tom Gillespie has joined the Sutton Guardian as a reporter.
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- IPC Media has announced a restructure of its equestrian editorial team. Brand development editor Sarah Jenkins has been appointed to the new role of content director. Meanwhile, Horse & Hound editor Lucy Higginson has decided to pursue other opportunities and will be leaving IPC Media in the summer.
- The Financial Times has appointed Jo Ellison as its new fashion editor. She joins from British Vogue where she is currently features director. She will take up her new post in August.
- Laura Mulley has been promoted to commissioning editor (fashion and travel) at S Magazine. She was previously the fashion and shopping assistant for the publication.
- Rachel Callen is leaving her role of editor at Natural Health magazine on Friday to join Slimming World at the end of May. Ceri James will replace her at the magazine.
Business & Finance
- Roger Hailey has been appointed editor of Air Cargo News. He was previously editor of Containerisation International, part of the Lloyd’s List Group.
- Senior editorial changes announced at Haymarket Media Group. PRWeek brand editor Ruth Wyatt has stepped down from her post. Danny Rogers, the brand editor of Campaign and editor-in-chief of the Brand Republic Group, is to return to PRWeek this week as editor-in-chief. Marketing’s editor Claire Beale will replace Roger as editor-in-chief of Campaign.
- An interview with Thuy, author of The Payday Cocktail Club, a blog that reviews cocktail bars in London. Thuy spoke to us about why she blogs, how she works with PRs and what new bloggers need to keep in mind before they get started.
- An interview with Lauren, author of the mummy blog, Real Housewife of Suffolk County. Lauren spoke to us about keeping her posts honest and fresh, working with her favourite brand, Medela and representing a PR firm for Britmums Live this year.