This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including The BBC, The Sunday Mirror, The Sunday Post and The Irish Times ; fashion, lifestyle and entertainment titles including OK! Magazine, Esquire and woman&home; and business and finance changes at the Daily Mail, Haymarket Group and Retail Week. Also, find out what’s new on Cision’s blog including the Top 10 Children’s Literature Blogs, online reputation and crisis management tips and interviews with bloggers.
News & Current Affairs
· Alex Hudson has announced via Twitter that he is leaving BBC News to become head of social content at the Daily Mirror.
· Francesca Cookney, previously a features writer at The Sunday Mirror has left the publication
· Neil Preston has left his role as news editor at the NCJ Media titles including Newcastle Chronicle, The Journal and the Sunday Sun
· The Sunday Post is to launch a new magazine supplement, In10, on 12 October 2014
· Andrew Papworth has been appointed as editor of Lowestoft Journal. He replaces Max Bennett who has left the title after four years as editor
· Alun Thorne is stepping down as the editor of Coventry Telegraph, his last day will be 21 October. Les Reid has also resigned as political reporter at the publication
· Cliff Taylor has been appointed managing editor with The Irish Times. He was previously business editor and economics editor at the publication
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
· Harriet Wheeler has been appointed as fashion and beauty assistant at OK!
· Charlie Teasdale has been appointed as deputy style editor at Esquire
· Victoria Young has left her role as assistant editor at woman&home to go freelance
Business & Finance
· Rob Davies has left his role as city reporter at the Daily Mail to go freelance
· James Williamson has left his role as business reporter at The Courier
· City A.M. has named David Hellier as its new editor. He will work alongside Marc Sidwell, who is appointed executive editor across all of the paper’s platforms.
· Gurjit Degun has joined as a senior reporter at Haymarket Media Group’s Campaign and Media Week titles.
· Danielle Bagnall has been appointed as senior staff writer at Automotive Management
· Retail Week has redesigned its print edition and launched new apps for its tablet and mobile editions.
· Dawn Lewis has been promoted to deputy editor of Pay & Benefits magazine. He was previously assistant editor at the publication.
· Haymarket Media Group’s Event magazine has unveiled a new look and focus across its digital, print and live events portfolio
Keep the kids busy this half term! Check out Cision UK’s Top 10 Children’s Literature Blogs
Digital communications has made authors, publishers and moreover critics of us all. A single negative customer experience shared as a simple rant on Facebook, Twitter or any other networking platform is enough to send the communication team behind the company in a tizzy to not only manage the situation but control any further damage to the brand’s reputation. This post outlines the core online reputation and crisis management tips essential for communications today.
Speedy Spotlight with Nengi Willie-Pepple, author of the fashion blog, Runway Ribbons. Nengi spoke to us about what makes her blog different, being featured as one of the street-style influencers to watch out for and introducing video on her blog.
Speedy spotlight with Vivian Yuen, author of the style and beauty blog, Live.In.Love. Vivien spoke to us about the overcrowding that exists in the blogosphere, working with brand marketers and the biggest ‘no-nos’ for PRs.