This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including The Sun, BBC Radio, City A.M. and South Wales Guardian; fashion and lifestyle changes at BuzzFeed and Lonely Planet Traveller; business changes at the Brand Republic Group and Pro-Activ Publications; health science & tech changes at Linux User & Developer. There are also blog spotlights featuring food and daddy bloggers.
News & Current Affairs
- The BBC has announced a major internal reorganisation of its radio division. The proposed move will result in the closure of another 65 posts in the BBC Radio division as part of an ongoing plan that will see a reduction of approximately 200 roles.
- James Clench has been promoted to head of news at The Sun. He was previously an associate news editor.
- Dominic Turnbull has been promoted to deputy head of news at The Sun. He was previously an associate news editor.
- City A.M. has appointed Julian Harris as news editor.
- Hereford Journal will be closing on the 13 June
- Mike Lewis is leaving his role of editor at South Wales Guardian. He will be replaced by Steve Adams.
- George Thorpe is the new sport reporter at Falmouth Packet.
- Deeside Piper has new phone numbers for editorial. To speak to a reporter at the publication please call 01330 826414 or 01330 826419.
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Square Up Media, the publisher of Square Mile magazine, has launched Festival Baby, a new website for festival fans.
- Lonely Planet Traveller magazine has had a redesign for its July issue. The new look sees greater alignment with the Lonely Planet parent brand, the introduction of new regular features and more colour throughout.
- Rossalyn Warren has joined BuzzFeed UK as a staff writer.
- Francis Whittaker has announced via Twitter that he will be joining BuzzFeed as their new homepage editor from next month.
Health, Science & Technology
- Gavin Thomas is the new editor at Linux User & Developer
Business & Finance
- Shares has announced via Twitter that Daniel Coatsworth is the new editor of the magazine, effective from today.
- Pro-Activ Publications has announced that from 1 July, Brian Sims will be the editor of Risk UK magazine and its website. Brian is currently media solutions manager at UBM Live
- Haymarket’s Brand Republic Group names Adrian Barrick as new editorial director
The first of this week’s Speedy Spotlights was with Laura Scott, author of the food blog, How to Cook Good Food. She spoke to us about how she works with brand marketers on sponsored and featured posts, what marketers need to keep in mind in better collaborating with her for content and getting more active in video this year.
Next up was daddy blogger Karl Young, #8 on Cision’s Top 10 UK Daddy Blogs ranking. Karl is the author of Yorkshire Dad and a PR executive by profession. He spoke to us from both a blogger and marketers’ perspective of managing expectations and building relationships for effective content marketing partnerships.
We also featured an interview UK’s top daddy blogger, Tim Atkinson, author of Bringing Up Charlie. He spoke to us about what sets his blog apart, how marketers can better work with him and taking on the Daily Mail, again.