This week’s Media Updates covers moves and changes at news titles including The Sunday Times, Daily Telegraph and Trinity Mirror; fashion, lifestyle and entertainment titles including Express, Men’s Fitness and FHM and business and finance changes at the Marketing Week and Converter magazines.
News & Current Affairs
- The Prime Minister has chosen Camilla Cavendish, to be the new Head of the Downing Street Policy Unit. She was previously the associate editor of The Sunday Times
- Josie Ensor has been appointed deputy foreign editor at the Daily Telegraph
- Mark Thomas, editor of the Daily Post, has decided to leave the business after 26 years of service with Trinity Mirror and its associated companies. Mark will leave on June 26 and intends to pursue a number of new opportunities and projects
- Andrew Campbell has been appointed editor of the Daily Post in Wales. Currently print editor for the Liverpool Echo, Andrew joined Trinity Mirror in 1995 from the Gloucester Citizen. He starts his new position in July
- Devon and Cornwall Media has appointed two new acting editors to lead its stable of weekly titles in Cornwall while current editor Jacqui Walls is on maternity leave. David Thomas, currently digital editor in Cornwall, will become editor of the West Briton and Cornishman, while Scott Harrison, head of news at the Western Morning News, will become editor of the Cornish Guardian
- Ben Chacko has been appointed editor at Morning Star
- Newsquest Media Group Ltd has acquired Romanes Media Group (Romanes), a local news publishing business operating in Scotland, Berkshire and Northern Ireland
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Felicity Thistlethwaite has been promoted to digital lifestyle editor at Express newspaper. She was previously senior digital showbiz reporter
- Dennis Publishing has appointed Joe Barnes editor of the Men’s Fitness brand. He will take up the post on 13July, moving from Bauer Media’s FHM
- Joe Finnerty has been promoted to consumer editor at Auto Express. He was previously consumer news writer at the title
- IntraFish Media has sold its UK weekly newspaper, Fishing News, to Kent-based Kelsey Media
- Daisy Jeffery has been appointed features editor at Homebuilding & Renovating. She was previously the content producer at the title
Business & Finance
- Sarah Vizard has been promoted to content editor, news and analysis, at Marketing Week. She was previously a news reporter at the magazine
- Jack Cheeseman has been appointed editor at Converter magazine
Hear it from the digital experts with Cision UK’s Top 10 Digital Marketing Blogs
The Social PR Survey found a high percentage of PRs never respond or engage with journalists and audiences on networking platforms at all. Alarmed? We were too, that’s why Cision’s inaugural Social PR Study is an absolute must-read for all PR teams. Check out our new infographic for all the highlights!
Blogger Spotlight with Darren Coleshill, author of one of the UK’s top parenting blogs, One Dad 3 Girls. Darren spoke to us about what’s new on the site, photoblogging, sponsorship disclosure and the challenges of using social media.