This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including The Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday and the Garstang Courier; fashion, lifestyle and entertainment titles including Vogue, Autotrade News and Professional Jeweller; business and finance changes at Pensions Insight and Engaged Investor and Health, Science & Technology changes at Imagine Publishing.
Also, find out what’s new on Cision’s blog including the Top 10 Family Travel Blogs in the UK, an overview of our webinar with blogger Vicki Day on PR best practices, the golden rules communications professionals must follow on social media, our very first video interview with Hannah Parker, the author of award-winning Mum’s Days and a journalist spotlight feature on Carol Farley on her move from PR to journalism after 38 years.
News & Current Affairs
- The Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday and the Edinburgh Evening News are to merge operations with the loss of up to 45 jobs, The Guardian reported. Parent company Johnston Press said that more cuts were on the way before the end of the year
- Reporters at a Garstang Courier in Pringle Street, Garstang are to be based at the offices of a sister daily after the latest office closure by publisher Johnston Press. The paper’s three reporters will now be based nine miles away at the offices of the Lancashire Evening Post in Fulwood, near Preston
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Vogue has appointed Elizabeth White as editorial assistant
- Autotrade News, a digital magazine providing automotive news for garages, distributors and suppliers in the automotive industry, has launched
- After five years at Professional Jeweller magazine, editor-in-chief Rachael Taylor is leaving the publication to pursue a career in freelance journalism
Business & Finance
Health, Science & Technology
- Imagine Publishing has relaunched NowGamer.com, featuring a fresh design and revamped editorial focus
- Beginning January, Taylor & Francis Group and the IMarEST (Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology) will publish and distribute the IMarEST’s Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology (JMET) and Journal of Operational Oceanography (JOO)
Planning a winter getaway? Check out Cision UK’s Top 10 Family Blogs for ideas
Social media, no matter how vast the reach and how effective a marketing platform, has and should always be managed differently from other media channels for PR purposes. Our latest whitepaper spells out five golden rules you need to follow to make sure your social communications is in line with business objectives
Due to the overcrowding in the blogosphere, it is becoming increasingly unclear about the PR value blogs actually bring and moreover how PR and communications professionals should measure a blogs capabilities in terms of ROI.
This post addresses questions such as: Should bloggers get paid to cover a story? How do you determine blogger influence? Are bloggers more influential than mainstream media?
Vicki Day, author of the fashion, lifestyle and food blog MrsD-Daily, addressed some of the UK’s leading PR and communications professionals at Cision’s latest webinar last Tuesday on ‘Why PR’s Need To Change Their Approach Towards Bloggers.’
Speedy Spotlight with mummy blogger Hannah Parker author of Mum’s Days. In this video interview, Hannah tells us about what makes her blog different, working with PR and brand marketers, best practices for better blogger outreach and taking home the award for the Best Parenting Blog at the North East Blogger Awards that took place last week.
You often hear about journalists who have moved into corporate PR roles, but Carol Farley, after 38 years in the advertising, PR and marketing industry, has crossed over to “the other side” by setting up her own magazine. The Onion, launched earlier this year, is a monthly publication catering to households in Kent and East Sussex. In this interview, Carol talks to Cision about her latest venture, why she decided to make the move into journalism, how her time in PR has helped her and what makes a good journalist-PR relationship.