This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including ITV, Financial Times; fashion, lifestyle and entertainment titles including Top Gear magazine, Sun, Trinity Mirror and Bauer Media; business and finance changes at Business Insider, Moneysavingexpert.com and Woman’s Weekly and Health, Science & Technology changes at DeSmogUK.
Also, find out what’s new on Cision’s blog including the Top 10 Men’s Lifestyle Travel Blogs in the UK, this year’s first big-budget Christmas campaigns, the 10 most spooktacular marketing campaigns on social media for Halloween as well as interviews with bloggers Sally O’Shea and Siana Westley.
News & Current Affairs
- Penny Marshall will return to the ITV newsroom as social affairs editor in the new year. Penny will re-join the team from the BBC where she recently held the position of education editor
- Jeremy Paxman joins the Financial Times as a contributing editor
- The Economist is to launch its first-ever daily edition, a bite-size digital briefing to complement the weekly news magazine
- Tim Walker, editor of The Daily Telegraph’s Mandrake column, has left the publication
- Fiona Shaw has been appointed publisher for the Cornwall business within Devon and Cornwall Media
- Exeter’s paper the Express & Echo will be launching a Monday edition from February 16, 2015. The new paper will be priced at 50p and will be in addition to the current weekly Express & Echo which is published on a Thursday priced at £1
- Emma Mackintosh has left her role as education reporter at South Wales Argus
- After more than nine years as editor, Michael Beard has announced that he is leaving The Argus
- Rebecca Whittington has left her role as head of news at the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post
- Archant Norfolk has announced the appointments of four community editors to lead its content gathering operations in Dereham, Fakenham, Thetford and Diss. Adam Lazzari is the new community editor in Dereham; Chris Bishop will lead operation for Fakenham office; Anthony Carroll at offices in Diss and Andrew Fitchett is the new community editor in Thetford
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Ollie Kew has joined BBC Top Gear Magazine as road test editor
- Ryan Kisiel has been appointed as senior showbiz reporter at the Sun
- Trinity Mirror has appointed Danielle Stacey as online and digital assistant at Notebook and Love Sunday
- The Chelsea Magazine Company has appointed Kate Finney as the new editor of Baby London, Baby Hampshire, Baby Surrey and Little London. She replaces Summer Litchfield who will continue working at the magazine titles as editor-at-large
- Morgan Rees has been appointed editor-in-chief of Bauer Media’s film brand, Empire
- Esme Clemo has been appointed as craft assistant at Woman’s Weekly
- Kirsty McCormack is now the digital showbiz editor at Express.co.uk. She was previously the showbiz reporter
- Tim Ingham is stepping down as editor of Music Week after three years in the role. He is being replaced by current deputy editor Tom Pakinkis, with Mark Sutherland and Emmanuel Legrand also joining the team
- Michael Melis has been appointed deputy editor at Ikea Family Live
Business & Finance
- Sarah Holt has been appointed as editor of Group Leisure and its portfolio of websites, annuals and directories. She takes over from Rebekah Tailor who stepped down at the end of September
- Camilla Hall has left her role as US banking correspondent at the Financial Times
- Tara Evans has been appointed as features desk leader at MoneySavingExpert.com
- Business Insider UK, a business news site for Europe, has launched its UK edition
- Rozi Jones has been appointed as editor at the Financial Reporter
Health, Science & Technology
- Kyla Mandel has been appointed as deputy editor at DeSmogUK
In the spirit of Movember, Cision UK has published the Top 10 Men’s Lifestyle Blogs
It’s Halloween and social media is brewing with tricks and treats as brands try and outdo each other for the most spooktacular spot. Here’s our pick of the top 10 brands on social media this Halloween.
The weather has turned and so has the flavour of advertisements because it’s that time of the year when all things lead to Christmas. Check out the big-ticket campaigns bringing in Christmas this year.
Interview with Siana Westley, beauty, lifestyle and fashion blogger and vlogger, on the PR firms and brands she works with and the best practices PR should follow for better blogger outreach.
Speedy Spotlight with Sally O’Shea, author of the beauty, fashion and lifestyle blog, Sweetie Sal, on the best practices PRs need to follow when working with bloggers and attending the Handpicked Media Blogger Suite at London Fashion Week.