This week’s Media Updates covers moves and changes at news titles including the Daily Telegraph, Independent News & Media & Bristol Post; fashion, lifestyle and entertainment titles including Glamour, The Chelsea Magazine Company & Cycling Plus and business and finance changes at the Financial Times, Retirement Planner & Better Retailing.
News & Current Affairs
- Matthew Bayley has returned to the Telegraph Media Group from Sky News to take on the role of head of content strategy, having left his job as the newspaper’s news editor in 2013
- Edward McCann has been appointed group managing editor at Independent News & Media (INM). He was previously deputy editor at the Belfast Telegraph. He takes over from Michael Denieffe who is retiring this month following a career spanning almost 45 years with the company
- Michael Yong has been appointed senior reporter at the Bristol Post. He was previously a reporter at the Gloucestershire Echo
- Mike Rankin has left his role as editor of the Deeside Piper and Herald. Mike will be succeeded by Morag Kuc, currently editor of the Peterhead-based Buchan Advertiser, Fraserburgh Herald and Ellon Times newspapers
- Dave Walker has left his role as web editor at the Church Times
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Emma Gannon has been appointed social media editor at Glamour magazine. She was previously social media editor at The Debrief
- Laura Husband has been appointed editor at Pure Beauty
- The Chelsea Magazine Company has acquired three titles from the Archant Community Media – The English Home, The English Garden and Discover Britain
- Kelsey Media has acquired Tractor & Farming Heritage Magazine from Mortons Media Group. The first issue under the new ownership will be the June 2015 edition, on sale Friday 15th May
- Cycling Plus, Immediate Media’s cycling magazine, has unveiled a redesign as it hits 300 issues
Business & Finance
- Sarah Mishkin has left her role as San Francisco correspondent at the Financial Times
- Julia Carrick has stepped down as publisher of FT How To Spend It magazine
- Siobhan Godwood has been appointed editor at Better Retailing
- Retirement Planner has launched a new website, Pensions freedom, dedicated to providing advisers the latest pension changes. The website launch follows a redesign of the Retirement Planner print title, including a new logo
- Will Strauss has been appointed editor of TV Technology Europe. He will be taking charge of the quarterly print publication from May
The UK’s top 10 Art Blogs to follow
With 27 days to go before polls open, social media has become a battle ground for election campaigns and political coverage in the UK. While there’s still a way to go before networking platforms dictate election outcomes, this year has certainly proved social media’s reach, influence and power to share information and sway votes.
Laura Barnes, the deputy editor at PCR, and now editor at the recently launched sister publication, IT Channel Expert, speaks to Cision about what it took to get the website up and running and the challenges faced.