This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including the The Times, Daily Telegraph, Evening Standard and Yorkshire Post; fashion and lifestyle changes at Harper’s BAZAAR; and business changes at Better Wholesaling. Also, find out what’s new on Cision’s blog including the Top 10 UK Charity Blogs and Speedy Spotlights with leading bloggers.
News & Current Affairs
- Adrian Pearson has been appointed political editor at the Yorkshire Post. He previously covered politics for the Journal in Newcastle.
- Gary Neville has joined the Daily Telegraph as a football columnist
- Paul Scholes has joined the London Evening Standard as a football columnist.
- Martin Swain has left the Express & Star, where he was chief sports writer
- Georgia Arlott has left the Coventry Telegraph, where she was a reporter
- Gina Marden has left the Basildon Echo, where she was a crime reporter
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Hearst Magazines UK has announced today that Company, the brand for street-style-obsessed young British women, will become a standalone digital brand from October 2014
- Sarah Karmali has been promoted to digital editor at Harper’s BAZAAR. She was previously deputy online editor
- The Cricketer magazine has appointed Simon Hughes as editor-at-large and Alec Swann as head of editorial planning & production. Hughes will join the title on September 1st
- Ted Macauley, Formula One correspondent for the Daily Star Sunday , has been appointed motoring editor of Surrey Hills Publishing, covering four monthly lifestyle magazines in the county.
- Tamoor Hussain has left his role as features editor at the website CVG
- Lucy Handley and Chantal Borciani have been appointed assistant editors for the High 50 website
- Katie Dean has been appointed editor of Bead Magazine
- Sienna Parulis-Cook has been appointed editor at Cardmaking & Papercraft magazine
- Men’s Fitness is to relaunch with its October issue promising bolder design, streamlined sections and new content
- Baby & Me magazine is to relaunch under the new title of Smallish on 17 September
- KISS, the monthly magazine aimed at teens in Ireland, is set to close, with the July issue as its last
Business & Finance
- Rebecca Clancy has been appointed head of breaking news, business at The Times
- Ben Woods has been appointed business editor at the Eastern Daily Press
- Tan Parsons has been appointed editor of Better Wholesaling. He was previously news and alcohol editor of Retail Express
Health, Science & Technology
- Louise Everett has been appointed editor at Holistic Therapy Magazine
- Imagine Publishing has launched RasPi, a digital-only magazine for Raspberry Pi enthusiasts from the experts behind Linux User & Developer
Fundraising tips and campaign strategy from the UK’s leading independent charity bloggers.
Issy Goode, a student and blogger, talks about getting over 8,000 views in the run up to freshers’ week 2013 and answering student queries universities can’t.
Laura Louise Cranston on photo shoots with cosmetics brand Benefit and prepping her blog for the Cosmopolitan Blog Awards next year
With the rise of digital media and subsequent growth in e-commerce opportunities, have blogs become a sweet spot for marketers looking to disguise a sales pitch?