This week’s Media Updates covers changes at news titles including The Haymarket Media group, Guardian, BBC Radio and Sunday Business Post; fashion and lifestyle changes at IPC Media and Wedding magazine. Also, find out what’s new on Cision’s blog including the Top 10 UK Property Blogs, which is this week’s latest blog rankings, spotlight interviews and a study on marketing spends.
News & Current Affairs
- The Independent Press Standards Organisation (Ipso) has appointed Matt Tee, a former civil servant, as its chief executive.
- Louise Ridley announced via Twitter that she has left Haymarket Media Group’s Campaign and MediaWeek magazines to join The Huffington Post UK
- Former Observer political editor Gaby Hinsliff is to return to Guardian News & Media as a writer and columnist for the Guardian
- Rebecca Shepherd has joined the Woking Advertiser as a reporter
- Brian McHugh has retired as community editor of Sligo Weekender
- Luke Gardener has joined the Biggleswade Chonicle as a reporter
- Alan Woods, the current news editor of the Brentwood Gazette, has been promoted to editor
- Cliff Taylor has stepped down as editor of Sunday Business Post. Political editor Pat Leahy has taken over as acting editor
- BBC Radio Bristol has announced a new breakfast show starting on 1 September, 6.30am to 9.00am weekdays. The show will be presented by Steve LeFevre and Laura Rawlings
Fashion, Lifestyle & Entertainment
- Lauren Morton has been appointed editorial assistant at LandLove magazine
- Sarah Macrae has been appointed beauty writer at Essentials and Woman magazines
- Haymarket Media Group’s What Hi-Fi? has unveiled its new website
- Leanne Wilcox has been appointed editorial assistant at Wedding and Wedding Flowers & Accessories magazines
- Find out which bloggers are climbing up the property blog ladder as Cision ranks the UK’s Top 10 Property Blogs
- Results from the latest Inbound for Agencies 2014 Benchmark Report found that 70% of marketing agencies have increased their leads from inbound marketing techniques while as many as 85% of agencies are looking to expand their inbound marketing options in the year ahead to meet client demands. Read more on the study with this post.
- 5 Best Practices for Effective Blogger Outreach: In our latest whitepaper, we collate the intelligence gathered from our Speedy Spotlight interviews with bloggers and break it down into five simple steps, giving marketers the insight you need to get smart about their blogger outreach strategy
- An interview with Luke Walwyn, the photographer and creative director at Voir Fashion, the online boutique magazine that offers an insight into the fashion world, from a highly creative and artistic standpoint. Luke gives us the lowdown on Voir Fashion, its unique approach to illustrating editorial content, the challenges journalists face with social media and his views on digital-only magazines
- An interview with Heather Milner, author of the interiors and lifestyle blog, Blomma London. She spoke to us about her affair with Scandinavian style, switching loyalties from magazines to blogs and how she works with brand marketers
- An interview with Jaime Oliver, author of The Oliver’s Madhouse, a blog that discusses a bit of everything, from parenting and family life to lifestyle and product reviews. Jaime spoke to us about working with “super brands,” best practices that all bloggers (new and established) should follow, and cake…lots of it
- Ranked as the No.1 food Blog in Glasgow on Urbanspoon and by Cision UK as one of the top Scottish blogs, ‘Food and Drink Glasgow’ successfully captures the city’s food, drink, accommodation, culture and lifestyle through its posts. Author Emma Mykytyn spoke to us about honest reviews, SEO duties at 2am and cross posting on its new sister travel blog